The March challenge at So Suzy Stamps is…Watercolor!
I *love* the “You’re Wrong” stamp from So Suzy Stamps.
During the month of March use “KIM10″ when checking out to get 10% off.
Did you know that So Suzy Stamps
Yes, you should join us there and find more inspirations and fun!!
There are two watercolor techniques in this card. The butterflies were made with paper I posted about earlier.
Then I needed something that coordinates for the sentiment background. I made this using regular watercolor paints, watercolor paper, and a watercolor brush. It was too saturated with color so I used a paper towel the pick up some of the color. Finally, I used Glimmer Mist – Barn Door over the entire piece. Once deciding what part of the paper I liked the best, I stamped and cut out around the stamp.
I was having a particularly difficult time putting all the elements together in a way that I found pleasing. I asked my partner, Edward (has a degree in art), what he might do. It was his idea to put off-center the first layer and the sentiment. I didn’t do it exactly how he imagined, but he ended up liking this better.
Turns out our eyes are trained completely differently. He thinks I sometimes jam things together too much and I think he spreads things out too much so they don’t appear connected! Different strokes.
- Card Base: Ivory skinny card. This was stamped with the butterfly stamp, inked with Distress Inks – Raspberry and Delicata Gold. I stamped twice or more with each inking. Edges distress with Distress Ink – Velvet. Corner chomped.
- First Layer: Scrap piece of patterned paper that I stamped using the same butterfly inked with Distress Ink – Raspberry. Embossed with clear powder. Corners chomped.
- Sentiment: The background was created as described above using Distress Ink Reinker – Raspberry and Marmalade and Glimmer Mist – Barn Door, on watercolor paper. The Elegance So Suzy Stamp was inked with Distress Ink – Raspberry, edges colored with Distress Ink – Raspberry. Corners chomped.
- Butterflies: I used this as the base, then stamped the Fancy Butterfly – So Suzy Stamps using Versamark, then embossed with Stampendous – Aged Ivory. I fussy cut these out and then shaped then by hand. They are attached directly over butterflies that were embossed on the First Layer. This gives subtle added dimension.
- Avenue 63
- Anya, Oddies, and Others
- Craft Your Passion
- Design Team Showcase
- Sister Act Card Challenge