The March challenge at So Suzy Stamps is…Watercolor!
I *love* the “Dragonfly” stamp from So Suzy Stamps. It is so cute, just waiting for watercoloring!
During the month of March use “KIM10″ when checking out to get 10% off.
Did you know that So Suzy Stamps
Yes, you should join us there and find more inspirations and fun!!
For quite a while I have been wanting to make “Art for Me.” Things that aren’t made into something else, things that have no purpose other than me exploring and/or bringing me joy. Seems like such an easy concept, yet one that I haven’t been able make happen! Then…I created this pink piece. I love it. As I was looking at the pink dragonfly piece and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it…I realized I wanted it for me. I didn’t want to make a card, a tag, an atc, an anything. I just wanted it for myself. I could roughly see that I wanted to build a mixed media piece around it. I went to look at my canvases for mixed media, and nothing felt right. But, I woke up with the idea of using the checkered frame and zentangles.
If you want to know more about the creation of the mixed media journal, click here.
This post is going to focus on the dragonfly swarm! If nothing else, this blog has given me lots of opportunities to learn what a group of animals is called! A group of dragonflies is called a swarm.
Details – Dragonfly Tag:
- Base: Watercolor paper, 3×6. I created this using the Distress Ink – Reinker watercolor method. I used raspberry and marmalade. I colored and distressed the edges with Distress Ink – Concord.
- Dragonflies: Dragonfly stamp by So Suzy Designs. This stamp is gorgeous, it leaves lots of room for creativity. I stamped using Distress Ink – Soot. I then used another watercolor technique…I sprayed the dragonflies with a little water to randomly bleed and soften some edges. Then I watercolored the wings with Glimmer Mist – Dragonfly (seriously, that is the name of the color!).
- Lines: There are a few groups of lines created using the stem of a flower stamp with Distress Ink – Raspberry. I didn’t like this that much and moved on to…
- Swirls and “Leaves:” These were created using a stencil, dauber, and Distress Ink – Raspberry. I then outlined them with Copic Spica – Black.
- I did a little extra coloring with the Glimmer Mist – Barn Door, Gelatos, and Distress Ink – Soot.
Details – Green Tag:
- Base: Ivory tag, 2 1/8 x 4 1/4. Colored with Gelatos and Glimmer Mist – Mantis.
- Butterflies: Stamped twice with Distress Ink – Walnut and Soot. Edges done with Gelato.
- Words: Written on white paper with ball point pen. Sprayed with Glimmer Mist – Barn Door.
Details – Art Journal Page:
- Base: Mixed media paper. The olive green background pieces are from stamping using additional ink from another project; High Impact – Olive and Harlequin stamp. This was from another project, it is a way to use extra ink/paint to create backgrounds in mixed media pieces and to use all the materials! I also used Gelatos, Glimmer Mist, and watercolor. When I was happy with the background I covered it with Gel Medium.
- Check frame: This was a duplicate from another project. I tend to print out two in case there is a problem. In this case there wasn’t, so I had an additional one to use.
- 1/2 Snowflake: This is part of a Christmas decoration I purchased a few years ago.
- Black: I outlined shapes with a Sharpie and created my first zentangle. I am working to let things fly and see what happens!