I wanted to make something special for my partner to take to work on Valentine’s Day. This worked out perfect as they decided to have a last-minute party! I had been planning this for about a month…so, I had a little jump on them.
This is a picture of what I ended up with. I am 100% thrilled with the results.
Having recently made corn muffins I have decided to *never* use the muffin tins without liners. Who has the patience to clean out all those little crevices?
Two days before Valentine’s Day I made the cupcakes following the recipe with modifications I have listed above. I ended up with 34 (4 extra).
cupcakes, which all cooked to perfection at 350º for 20 minutes. I was a little concerned that this might not be enough time, but it was. The cupcakes were impossibly moist!
After my partner sampled a few to ensure consistent awesomeness, we waited. I waited for a day while they completely cooled – sitting on my counter covered with a towel.
The next step was dropping the cooled cupcakes into the premade wrappers. These I had sized, cut out and put together previously. But, that is another post!
On to the icing. I made the icing exactly as the recipe described…except for changing the vanilla to 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 almond. Next was the frightening part! I am not a cake decorator of any sort (I actually threw away holiday cookies because they were so ugly!) and have avoided using a pastry bag for decades. I have disposable ones sitting in my drawer that I studiously ignore. But, I wanted to make the leap.
Icing equipment: Wilson plastic disposable pastry bags, coupler, and tip #21. I did have a general idea of how this is done, but lack anything that might be considered knowledge, information, skill, or expertise.
With no idea of how to use a pastry bag…I did what everyone does in this situation…I watched a few youtube videos. This one was the best – direct, clear, and short! As it turns out you don’t need a coupler for one color with one tip. #21 isn’t the same tip size as the video, but it makes the same shape.
I started out gingerly and got the hang of it about 1/3 of the way through. At least I was confident that I would get the tray completed. Then, I became concerned about having enough icing. Trust me you have enough for a generous amount of icing per cupcake. I know that not everyone likes a lot of icing so having them with different amounts seemed like a good idea anyway.
The final touch was a maraschino cherry and a little toothpicky flower thing I had a bunch of sitting around that I purchased years ago.
Finally, I think I might give holiday cookie decorating another chance. Stayed tuned!
The wrapper is a Silhouette file. My crafting posts can be found at Craftisan Studios.
Update: Link to PaperIssues.